Tuesday, June 14, 2011

Tutorial: Ridiculous easy baptismal bunting

Sometimes I make something that is so easy it seems silly to share a how-to. But then I think back to when I was true beginner, with my sewing machine sitting there on my table like a big puzzle. I appreciated the very simple tutorials then. So this one is for that beginner who wants a super simple project that takes no time at all. It's simple, but, of course, cute, too.


I made this very quickly the night before Jack's baptism, and it made my ugly chain link fence look much cuter at the backyard party we held after the church service.

Here's what you need to do it: yourself:

* A half a yard of vinyl fabric
* A long length of grosgrain ribbon
* Sewing machine, thread, scissors, etc.

That's it!

I found this fabric in the remnant section at JoAnn's. Do you check out the remnant bin? I buy probably as much fabric in remnants as I do from getting it measured and cut. Dig in there, and you'll always find something cute, and JoAnn's often has sales for 50% off the remnants. That's when I go crazy.

So this vinyl fabric looked like a eyelet lace and was shaped in these rectangles already. All I had to do was cut them apart, and I had a stack of rectangles ready to go. I bet your JoAnn's has the same fabric (look in the outdoor section!), but you could also use a bright and colorful vinyl for a different effect. Just measure a rectangle template and cut them all to an equal size.



Then I took my ribbon and folded it in half. I sewed the open length together starting at one end with a stitch length of 3. Once I had about six inches of ribbon sewn shut, I stopped and sandwiched one of the vinyl rectangles into the fold of the ribbon. Then holding it in place, I kept on sewing, getting close to the edge of the ribbon. I used the left side of my foot as my guide.


Keep sewing the ribbon in half, putting a good five or six inches between each rectangle. Then insert another into the fold. Keep going until you run out of ribbon or rectangles. Then you're done. Should take about 15 minutes!



Cute, right? I called this a baptismal bunting since that's what I used it for. And it's white. But I think it would be cute in a little girl's room or for a baby shower decoration, too.



I love it so much that I'm leaving it up for now. It's nice that it is vinyl, so I don't have to worry about it getting wet and sticking to my fence or fraying.

That's it! If you make one, please drop me a link or email so I can see!

Linked up at...

1 comment:

  1. These are really cute, Krista. I can't believe they make eyelet vinyl! I am in the remnant bin every time I shop :)

    ReplyDelete