Wednesday, May 4, 2011

A dahlia pin Mother's Day gift -- for me

A long while back, I spotted this beautiful dahlia pin tutorial. Maybe you saw it, too. It came from the blogger Not Martha on the Web site Holidash.


That's felt. How can felt be that awesome? I fell in love. Remembered it for the entire last year.

As Mother's Day approached, I realized -- I wanted that fantastical dahlia pin for myself on Mother's Day. And I knew no one was lining up to make it for me. So I busted out the felt and the glue gun myself.


Let me tell you, it feels nice to get crafty for yourself and to create something you really love. All for you. Yes, it does feel good.

I thought about making one for my own mother, or perhaps my mother-in-law. But I can't see either one of them wearing this. I am normally not a frilly, wear-a-flower-pin-kinda girl. But I can see me wearing this everywhere. It makes me happy.


So no, it would be mine, all mine. All it takes is some felt, which I had on hand from a pillow I made last year, a pair of scissors, and in my case, a glue gun. The tutorial calls for you to use felt glue. I decided to try first sewing my petals into shape and then, when that turned cumbersome, gave the trusty old $3 glue gun a try. Worked like a charm. The middle of the flower is supposed to be filled with more felt, cut using pinking shears. Silly me, I have no pinking shears. But I do have cute hot pink buttons. I think that finishing touch looks cute, albeit less sophisticated than the original. I also wish I'd had a pattern for the petals. Mine were not as uniform as Not Martha's. Perhaps take her tutorial picture and print it to trace a pattern for yourself. Or maybe you're just better than me at cutting precise petals out of felt.

Nap-time well spent.



I am in love! Happy Mother's Day.... to me!

Do you craft often for yourself? Are you crafting for yourself this Mother's Day?

Weekend Bloggy Reading

14 comments:

  1. I love this...it's so pretty! I might have to try it soon. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOVE this broach!!! I'm a new followers of yours--love your blog. I'd love if you linked up to Sew Woodsy!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ooooh, I saw this too! I was going to make one to put on a hat for my niece. I like the blue you used.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Krista, I spotted your comment on another blog that you have the D40 camera and have been pining for the 3100. Me too, though it won't fit my budget now I hope to save for it. In the meantime I have decided to get better at utilizing the D40, it is an awesome camera and I have just never learned all the ins and outs it. I just got some books dedicated to the D40 and hope to get more proficient quickly. I am going to share tips and tricks I learn along the way. Costco just had the 3100 with the extra lens for a killer price, I drooled everytime I shopped Costco.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love a project you can complete during naptime (especially since that seems to be the only time I have to get things done).

    Also I like the blue...
    liZ

    ReplyDelete
  6. Katie, I'm linked up now! Thanks for the recommendation. Always looking for a good party.

    Pam, yeah, the D3100 isn't in my budget now either. Or maybe ever. :) I wish there was a class I could take. I mean, there probably IS a class I could take. I'll look up D40 books... had no idea there were any out there!

    Thanks Liz, Valeria and Redhead!

    ReplyDelete
  7. This turned out really cute!
    I would love it if you linked up again @ {nifty thrifty sunday}!
    xoxo,
    Vanessa

    ReplyDelete
  8. Very cute! Makes me want to wear the fabric rose pin my hubby gave me for me birthday. I'm thinking Mother's Day!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love it, Krista! The color is great, love the addition of the button, and you can't go wrong with something that makes you happy :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Cute! Please come and share it at my link party: http://fabricbowsandmore.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  11. I adore! I can't stop thinking how awesome it would look on a pillow! Thank you very much for planting this in my brain so I can't get it out! LOL. No seriously. Thank you for sharing!

    Visitng from Serenity now!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Adorable I love it and will see if Isabella wants to make it with me!

    xoxo
    Karena

    Art by Karena

    Come visit on the 15th for a super surprise!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I don't blame you for keeping that for yourself. It's lovely!! Such nice layers, and I love the cute little embellishment. I featured your project today!

    Thanks for joining my Weekend Bloggy Reading party. Hope you'll visit Serenity Now again soon. :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Thank you so much for stopping by and linking up to {nifty thrifty sunday}!
    I hope to see you again this week! :)
    xoxo,
    Vanessa @ {nifty thrifty things}

    ReplyDelete