Monday, April 18, 2011

Craft Revival Wrap-up



If you read my About page, you'll see that I credit all the awesome craft bloggers for sparking my interest in sewing and the handmade movement. That's really only partially true. I think it began with Handmade Detroit and the Detroit Urban Craft Fair. Three years ago, I hit up that massive indie-craft show in downtown Detroit with some friends and was floored.

Growing up, I'd tagged along to many craft shows with my Mom. I did so voluntarily, and even then, I liked browsing the crafts. But you can picture these shows, right? Church or school cafeterias. Everything looked like it belonged in a "country kitschy" decorating scheme. Lots of mauve. Lots of chickens. The word "funky" did not apply.

So the Urban Craft Fair was very unexpected. Of course, I'd seen and shopped on Etsy before. This was like stepping into Etsy and being able to touch everything. It took the concept of Etsy and planted it firmly in "real life," in my community. This was happening here? I'd had no idea, and I was hooked.

Slowly, I began to think that while what all those crafters was doing was amazing, and much of it fueled by talent I could only dream of possessing, there was no reason I couldn't give craft-making and sewing a try myself. I began reading blogs that detailed the process of making these adorable things. The more I read, the more I learned. The more these sewing projects seemed less mysterious and more manageable. And soon enough, I was at Target, plunking a sewing machine into my cart.

I'm so glad I took that leap. Now, I really CAN make some of the things I see at these craft shows. I go through them with a different eye. Thinking, how could I make this myself? Waiting for a spark of creativity to strike. But I also want to support other local crafters. I want to buy their wares, even if I feel more confident now that I could possibly whip some of them up on my own.

So a 30-minute stroll through Craft Revival on Saturday, a small indie-craft show with 25 tables in a bar in Ferndale, and what did I come home with?


This perfectly-sized little clutch. I bought the rosette from a different seller actually. Doesn't it look cute together? The inside of the clutch is a nice bright red. And I love the stitching over the blue leather. I've never made anything with leather before. So this fell into the category of yeah, I don't think I could make this! I paid $17. $3 for the rosette pin.



This reversible potholder was $5. This is one of those things I think I COULD make. I've made a potholder before. But I was impressed with her circle binding. Is circle binding easier than square? Maybe, I don't know! But I think I am going to try a copy-cat version very soon. 

Finally, I got myself a shirt by Handmade Detroit. I figure, I owe a lot to this local handmade movement, and Handmade Detroit is the genesis behind it. The least I could do is support them and get myself one of their tees! And it's cute, no? $15 for this one. 

Oh and bonus! While there, I picked up a flier for a Flint indie craft fair on May 7. How sweet! Except I don't think I'll be going because I've got some plans that day. Bummer. But you should go! Tell me how it is! Tell me: Do you support your local handmade community? Did it inspire you to begin crafting? Please tell me in a comment!

3 comments:

  1. Applying binding tape in a circular fashion is easier than a square because you don't have the corners and the binding stretches to fit around the curve so easily! Love the clutch and the yellow rose "made it!"

    ReplyDelete
  2. OK, that makes sense. I'm still learning with the bias tape. Maybe I should have started with circles! I might give it a whirl this week.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love the clutch! I've been to tons of local craft fairs as I have a family full of crafters, woodworkers, and potters. We have a lot of talented people in our neck of the woods.

    ReplyDelete